We've invested a five figure sum understanding WoM science. Who is using WoM? Well it is not all for small companies who don't have a choice or cool start ups; the list is endless. BMW, Nivea, Nike, Lego, Unilever, Reckitt's we could go on. Word of Mouth marketing is known to be the best form of marketing there is and yet most organisations don't invest in it, the question is' why' but facts first.
- 64% of marketeers think Word of Mouth is the best form of advertising but only 6% have a handle on how to do it.
- Estimates vary but overall 80% of all brand conversations happen via the gob in the real world.
- Teen conversations about brand are 85% in the real world (vs online) and for the general public the figure is 92%.
- 92% of people trust a recommendation from a friend and other advertising 8%.
- 50% of Fortune 500 companies use co-creation which drives WoM.
- 66% of brand conversations about brands in the USA are positive.
- Influencers aren't the cool people, in fact they are normal people with great stories.
- If someone recommends something then 1/3 times you'll check it out, ROI on advertising is 0.01% (So that’s 0.33% vs 0.01%)
- WoM impressions on-line, I.e. those driven by recommendation are 100 x more powerful than impressions without WoM.
- Dettol used WoM to get a 86% rise in sales in China.
So why don't more people use Word of Mouth (WoM), it's the killer application of marketing. I've been teaching and doing Word of Mouth marketing for 20 years now and these are the reasons I've found.
- There's a myth that world of mouth marketing just happens and there is nothing you can do to dial it up.
- Doing Word of Mouth marketing is about engagement with your market on an on-going basis, it's less visible than putting an ad out there or a digital campaign. Marketeers feel like they are doing something when they do advertising, they can point to output.
- WoM works around a model and many don't know what the model is or how to apply it, this is the model:
- Exposure = how did I hear about a brand
- Experience = how was the first encounter
- Involvement = I’m invited to feel part of the club
- Connection = I feel passionate and tell people about the brand/create content
- New Love = The brand creates on-going new reasons to talk.
WoM is summed up by the phrase 'common sense isn't common'. There's a whole organisation (Womma) dedicated to sharing articles. We've applied WoM and increased juice brand sales by 15%, saved a family business and trained corporates in the science to boost ROI. If you want to know more, please e-mail email@example.com